This integrated operator was experiencing increasing tank maintenance costs, decreasing tank availability and growing lost profit opportunity. To help reverse these trends, RLG was asked to implement Tank Excellence (TANKx™) at one refinery, and then across all the operator’s North American refineries. TANKx’s focus on improving planning, processes, alignment and execution with the tank maintenance team resulted in significant improvement results.
- Improved cost performance on a tank by tank basis of over 12%
- Tank overhaul schedule optimization process for emergent repairs to a leading crude tank reduced duration by 30 days with a Loss Profit Opportunity (LPO) avoidance of $1 million
- Planned tank maintenance budget was first stabilized with optimized short-term strategy of ‘Do the Right Tank at the Right Time’ and then reduced to a sustainable spend resulting in $15 million savings
- Decreased discovery scope growth by 75% via TANKx Predictive Scoping & Contingency Planning tool
- Formalized phased planning process co-created with the team to ensure 100% deliverables completed prior to T-0
- Development of strategic tank asset management plans directly contributed to reduction in LPO of $10 million annually