During a 5 month period, performance coaches from RLG implemented a drilling efficiency improvement project at the Houston drilling office, the West Africa regional operations base and the semisubmersible drilling rig to reduce cost and risk during this client’s exploration drilling campaign. Using RLG’s PEML methodology for drilling, this partnership was able to achieve strong results in both well planning and execution while improving alignment and collaboration between the three teams.
- An organizational assessment was conducted during the first three weeks to assess the effectiveness of the existing ‘as is’ structure of key management tools and processes versus RLG’s PEML criteria.
- RLG’s TMP™ approach was used during three drill-the-well-on-paper sessions, generating 150 actions items and reduced the drilling plan by 21 days.
- On the drilling rig the Operating Rhythm™ was strengthened by implementing or enhancing a number of key management tools and processes such as pre-tour meetings, daily and weekly planning meetings, well and section pre-spud meetings, post task-, section- and well After Action Reviews and KPI scorecards and scoreboards.
- Within the Houston drilling office the Operating Rhythm™ was improved by implementing or enhancing a similar list of management tools and processes including daily operations meetings, daily and weekly planning meetings, well planning TMP™ sessions, pre- and post-well reviews, lessons learned and KPI scorecards with visual scoreboards.
- These led to a 20% improvement in overall performance management capability (from 42% to 62%) within the Houston drilling office and a 20% improvement in overall performance management capability (from 44% to 64%) at the Operations base and the drilling rig.
- Drilling performance improvements resulted in $47 million USD in cost savings during the two well West Africa deep-water exploration campaign.